Attractions and Places to Visit in Port Harcourt
Port Harcourt is one of Nigeria’s driving industrial centres known for their manufacturing of aluminium products, glass bottles and paper. Just an hour flight from Port Harcourt, the city was built in 1912 and named after the Secretary of State for the Colonies Lewis Vernon Harcourt.
Port Harcourt is the capital and largest city of Rivers State, Nigeria.
It lies along the Bonny River and is located in the Niger Delta. The port was built in 1912 by the colonial administration of Nigeria to export coal, transported by rail from Enugu. It was not until August 1913, when the Governor of Nigeria, Sir Frederick Lugard, named it "Port Harcourt" in honor of Lewis Vernon Harcourt, then the Secretary of State for the Colonies.
In 1956 crude oil was discovered in commercial quantities at Oloibiri, and Port Harcourt's economy turned to petroleum when the first shipment of Nigerian crude oil was exported through the city in 1958. This discovery of oil heralded the growth and development of Port Harcourt.